Last modified: January 27, 2013
Information I collect and how I use it
I offer a number of services that do not require you to register for an account or provide any personal information to me, such as my articles and resources. In order to provide my full range of services, I may collect the following types of information:
- Information you provide – When you inquire about parliamentary services or sign up for my newsletter, I ask you for personal information (such as your name and email address).
- Log information – When you access my website, my server automatically records information that your browser sends whenever you visit any website. These server logs may include information such as your web request, Internet protocol address, browser type, browser language, the date and time of your request, and one or more cookies that may uniquely identify your browser.
- User communications – When you send e-mail or other communications to me, I may retain those communications in order to process your inquiries, respond to your requests and improve my services.
- Links – I may present links in a format that enables me to keep track of whether these links have been followed. I use this information to improve the quality of my website and the performance of my advertizing campaigns.
- Providing services to clients, including the provision of parliamentary advice and all incidental services and communications;
- Auditing, research, and analysis in order to maintain, protect, and improve my website;
- Ensuring the technical functioning of my website; and
- Developing new services.
I process personal information on first- and third-party servers in Canada and the United States of America. In some cases, I process personal information on a server outside your own country. I may process personal information to provide my own services. In some cases, I may process personal information on behalf of and according to the instructions of a third party, such as another parliamentarian or a lawyer.
Choices for personal information
Most browsers are initially set up to accept cookies, but you can reset your browser to refuse all cookies or to indicate when a cookie is being sent. However, some of my website’s features and services may not function properly if your cookies are disabled.
You can decline to submit personal information for any of my services, in which case I may not be able to effectively provide those services to you.
I only share personal information with other companies or individuals in the following limited circumstances:
- I have your consent.
- I have a good faith belief that access, use, preservation or disclosure of such information is reasonably necessary to (a) satisfy any applicable law, regulation, legal process or enforceable governmental request, (b) enforce applicable terms of service, including investigation of potential violations thereof, (c) detect, prevent, or otherwise address fraud, security or technical issues, or (d) protect against imminent harm to my rights, property, or safety, or those of my clients or of the public, as required or permitted by law.
I may share with third parties certain pieces of aggregated, non-personal information, such as the number of users who searched for a particular term, for example, or how many users clicked on a particular advertisement. Such information does not identify you individually.
Please contact me at the address below for any additional questions about the management or use of personal data.
I take appropriate security measures to protect against unauthorized access to or unauthorized alteration, disclosure or destruction of data. These may include internal reviews of my data collection, storage and processing practices and security measures, as well as physical security measures to guard against unauthorized access to systems where I store personal data.
I restrict access to personal information to contractors and agents who need to know that information in order to operate, develop, or improve my services. These individuals are bound by confidentiality obligations and may be subject to discipline, including termination and criminal prosecution, if they fail to meet these obligations.
Accessing and updating personal information
When you use my services, I make good faith efforts to provide you with access to your personal information upon request and either to correct this data if it is inaccurate or to delete such data at your request if it is not otherwise required to be retained by law or for legitimate business purposes. I ask individual users to identify themselves and the information requested to be accessed, corrected or removed before processing such requests, and I may decline to process requests that are unreasonably repetitive or systematic, require disproportionate technical effort, jeopardize the privacy of others, or would be extremely impractical (for instance, requests concerning information residing on backup tapes), or for which access is not otherwise required. In any case where I provide information access and correction, I perform this service free of charge, except if doing so would require a disproportionate effort.
When I receive formal written complaints, it is my policy to contact the complaining user regarding his or her concerns. I will co-operate with the appropriate regulatory authorities, including local data protection authorities, to resolve any complaints regarding the transfer of personal data that cannot be resolved between me and an individual.